Kuching
29.2°C
Patchy rain nearbyPatchy rain nearby
Samarahan
33.2°C
Patchy light rain with thunderPatchy light rain with thunder
Serian
29.2°C
Patchy rain nearbyPatchy rain nearby
Betong
22.9°C
MistMist
Sri Aman
24°C
Partly CloudyPartly Cloudy
Sibu
27°C
Partly cloudyPartly cloudy
Mukah
27°C
Partly cloudyPartly cloudy
Sarikei
27.3°C
Partly cloudyPartly cloudy
Bintulu
27.3°C
Partly cloudyPartly cloudy
Kapit
21.9°C
Light rain showerLight rain shower
Miri
25.4°C
Light rainLight rain
Limbang
24°C
Moderate or heavy rain with thunderModerate or heavy rain with thunder
|
21 Feb 2026

US President Donald Trump has said American forces struck a “big facility” in Venezuela linked to alleged drug-smuggling operations, marking what could be the first known US military action inside the country.

Speaking to reporters, Trump described the target as a “dock area” where boats were loaded with narcotics. He claimed there had been a “major explosion” but declined to provide further details. “We hit all the boats, and now we hit the area… it’s the implementation area. That’s where they implement, and that is no longer around,” he said.

CNN and the New York Times, citing sources familiar with the matter, reported that the strike was carried out by a CIA drone. If confirmed, this would represent a significant escalation in Washington’s campaign against Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, whom the US has accused of using oil revenues to fund drug-related crime.

Since September, the US military has targeted more than 20 vessels in the Caribbean and Pacific, claiming they were drug-smuggling boats. According to US Southern Command, at least 100 people have been killed in these operations. The most recent strike occurred on Monday, when two alleged “narco-terrorists” were killed in the eastern Pacific.

The Pentagon has typically released images and videos to confirm such strikes, but none have been published regarding the Venezuelan dock incident. The Department of Defense referred questions to the White House, which has yet to issue a statement.

Trump has previously threatened land strikes in Venezuela and authorised covert CIA operations as part of a broader pressure campaign against Maduro. The president hinted last week in a radio interview that the US had hit a “big facility,” but offered limited details at the time.

The US has deployed 15,000 troops and a fleet of warships, including the USS Gerald Ford aircraft carrier, to the Caribbean. Officials say the mission is aimed at halting the flow of fentanyl and cocaine into the US. Helicopters from the Gerald Ford reportedly took part in an operation earlier this month when US forces seized a Venezuelan oil tanker.

Venezuela has condemned the seizures as “piracy” and accused Washington of using its war on drugs as a pretext to topple Maduro and gain access to the country’s vast oil reserves. Maduro has denied US allegations that he is a cartel leader, insisting that the accusations are politically motivated.

Asked last week whether the US campaign was intended to force Maduro from power, Trump replied: “Well, I think it probably would… That’s up to him what he wants to do. I think it’d be smart for him to do that. But again, we’re gonna find out.”

The incident underscores the growing risk of direct confrontation between Washington and Caracas, with analysts warning that covert operations could further destabilise the region.

Sources: CNN, New York Times, BBC News, Al Jazeera

By International Desk

We bring the world closer to Sarawak with in-depth coverage of global affairs, international politics, diplomacy, economy, and major world events. Our team monitors stories from every continent, ensuring our readers stay informed with accurate, balanced, and timely news that matters on the global stage.