Kuching
23.9°C
Smoky hazeSmoky haze
Samarahan
23.9°C
FogFog
Serian
25.1°C
Smoky hazeSmoky haze
Betong
23.9°C
Smoky hazeSmoky haze
Sri Aman
24.5°C
Smoky hazeSmoky haze
Sibu
24.3°C
Smoky hazeSmoky haze
Mukah
24.7°C
Smoky hazeSmoky haze
Sarikei
23.6°C
FogFog
Bintulu
28.7°C
Light rain showerLight rain shower
Kapit
22.7°C
Light rain showerLight rain shower
Miri
27.6°C
Patchy rain nearbyPatchy rain nearby
Limbang
23.3°C
FogFog
|
21 Aug 2026
Sarawak, Sarawak News, Kuching, Kuching News, Haze, Air Quality, Public Health, School Closures

Sarawak Haze: Uggah Urges Public to Comply with Health Advice

KUCHING – Sarawak Deputy Premier Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas has urged residents to take precautions as haze and hot, dry conditions continue to affect several parts of the state.

Uggah, who chairs the Sarawak State Disaster Management Committee (JPBNS), said public cooperation was important in reducing health risks, particularly for people more vulnerable to the effects of polluted air.

He advised residents to limit outdoor activities, monitor the latest air quality readings and follow instructions issued by the authorities.

“The current situation requires cooperation from all parties. The public should take the advice of the authorities seriously, reduce outdoor activities and constantly monitor the current air quality readings,” he said.

He specifically advised children, older people, pregnant women and those with respiratory or heart conditions to reduce their exposure to polluted air.

According to the Sarawak Hot Weather Report at 2pm on Thursday, nine of the 18 monitored locations recorded Air Pollution Index (API) readings in the unhealthy category.

The readings were 195 at IPD Serian, 191 in Kuching, 191 in Lubok Antu, 180 in Lundu, 178 in Sri Aman, 175 in Samarahan, 169 in Tebedu, 154 in Sarikei and 108 in Sibu.

Under the API classification, readings from 101 to 200 are considered unhealthy, while readings from 201 to 300 are categorised as very unhealthy. Air quality information is updated regularly through the national monitoring system.

Uggah said the prolonged hot and dry weather was also increasing the risk of forest, peatland and open-area fires, while placing additional pressure on water supply sources.

He said JPBNS and relevant agencies would continue monitoring weather conditions, air quality, hotspots, fire risks and water resources, particularly in areas considered vulnerable.

“JPBNS together with relevant agencies will continue to strengthen monitoring, preparedness and measures prevention and mitigation, especially in high-risk areas,” he said.

Members of the public were also reminded not to carry out open burning and to report any fires or suspected open-burning incidents to the authorities.

Uggah said people should avoid strenuous exercise and outdoor sports if haze conditions deteriorated. Where necessary, residents may use suitable face masks and reduce the entry of polluted outdoor air by keeping doors and windows closed.

He also referred to the National Haze Action Plan, under which outdoor activities involving students are to be stopped when the API exceeds 100, while outdoor sports are recommended to be postponed.

The latest haze situation has already led to temporary school closures in several parts of Sarawak. Earlier this month, 107 schools in Serian Division were temporarily closed after API readings there exceeded 200, with home-based teaching and learning continuing during the closure.

The Sarawak Education Department has since announced the temporary closure of educational institutions under 10 District Education Offices from 20 to 21 August. The areas covered are Kuching, Padawan, Bau, Lundu, Samarahan, Simunjan, Serian, Sri Aman, Lubok Antu and Betong.

The closures affect 509 primary schools with 107,590 students and 82 secondary schools with 89,733 students, according to the information provided by the Sarawak authorities.

Uggah said the temporary measures should be followed to safeguard students, teachers and other members of the education community while haze conditions remain a concern.

“Our priority is to protect the health and safety of the people, especially students and groups who are more at risk of being affected by the haze situation,” he said.

He also called on the public to avoid circulating unverified information and to rely on official government channels for updates on air quality, school operations and other measures.

The state disaster management committee is continuing to coordinate with relevant agencies as it monitors the haze, hot weather and fire risks. The response will be adjusted according to prevailing conditions and assessed levels of risk.

The current episode follows a period of worsening air quality in Sarawak earlier in August, with authorities previously reporting very unhealthy readings in parts of Serian and Tebedu and advising residents to reduce outdoor exposure.

By Sarawak Daily

Your trusted source for Sarawak’s latest news, daily updates, stories & voices. Stay informed, stay connected.